Every service provider who provides taxable services over Rs 9 lakhs has to register with Service Tax. If you are in a business that provides various services such as the hospitality industry, restaurants, or beauty salons with an annual turnover in excess of 9 lakh INR, then you are liable to pay service tax. In order to file your returns you need to obtain a number through service tax registration. Be aware that failure to register and pay service tax incurs a penalty under section 77 of the finance act, 1994.
Service Tax Information
Documents required for Online Service Tax Registration
- Self attested copy of Pan Card of the business to be registered i.e. Proprietor, Partnership Firm, Private Limited, Public Limited, LLP etc
- Proof of Identity of the applicant
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Adhar Card
- Voter ID Card
- Photo ID card issued by any state, central govt undertaking
- Address Proof
- Lease Deed
- Proof of Ownership of Premises
- Allotment letter from Government
- Rental agreement
- If the address is leased premises, NOC from the legal owner of the premises is required.
- Details of Bank Account
- List of Directors or Partners, depending upon the type of business
- Partnership Deed, in case of Partnership Firm
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- Authority by the Board of Directors or Partners for application of Service Tax
- Details of account numbers of government departments (vat , excise, IEC or import export code, central sales tax & sales tax)
Procedure for Online Service Tax Registration
The process of registering service tax online is easy. All you need to do is send a complete list of self attested documents as listed above to MyEfilings. We will then fill out your ST-1 (service tax registration form) available with the Central Excise and Service Tax (ACES) websites.
On receipt of all documents from you, we will forward the documents to the concerned Service Tax Office within 7 days for the purpose of verification. A service Tax officer will then verify all your submitted documents. Once your documents and application is verified successfully you will receive your ST certificate within two days.
FAQ's related to Service Tax Registration
What is meant by service tax registration?
As mentioned earlier in the article service tax registration requires to be done by individuals owning a service related business with income over 9 lakhs. There is also provision for central registration
Is service tax registration necessary?
Yes, in order to pay service tax you need to register.
How do you define an assessee?
By Assessee, we mean an individual or company liable to make service tax payments
How does a person or assessee obtain registration?
When an individual starts a business with a taxable service he is liable to register himself within a month of commencement of business. If any new taxes are introduced, then an existing provider must also register himself unless he fulfils conditions of exemption.
How should an individual go for registration of service tax?
Application in Form ST-1 (in duplicate) will be required for filing before the Jurisdictional general Excise/Service Tax with relevant documents for verification. Refer documents required here.
What is the method for central registration?
Service providers with centralized billing systems can register for centralized service tax option. The Tax officer or Central excise/service tax commissioner governing the assessee jurisdiction will have the power to grant centralized registration
What must be done when an individual or assessee starts a service business not specified in the certificate of registration?
Application in Form ST-1 has to be made for purpose of amendment of registration certificate. The original registration certificate also needs to be furnished.
How does one transfer a certificate of registration in event of transferring the business to another individual?
The transferee will have to register for fresh service tax certificate as he operates under his own PAN number.
What are the penalties involved for failing to register for service tax.
The penalty incurred for failure to register for service tax may vary from Rs 200 to 5000 per day calculated from due date.
Advantages of using MyEfilings for registration of service tax
- Creation of tax file for submission
- Timely submission of documents
- Interaction with tax office for status of registration
- Follow up during delays
- Receipt and delivery of service tax certificate
- Receipt of service tax certificate within two days
One should be aware of the fact that your registration certificate can be revoked by the Service Tax department under below mentioned circumstances:
- The submitted documents are incomplete or incorrect;
- It is found that the office premises is not in existence or in possession of the applicant;
- The documents are not received within 15 days of filing of online application